I thought it would be helpful, for me at least, to make a list of the issues I plan to explore that have led me to abandon my belief in the bible as a spiritual authority, in Christianity in general, and Evangelical Christianity in particular. Those who have left the evangelical fold often focus on a variety of issues, so my emphasis may be much different than the next person’s.
Also, I’m sure these topics will all bleed into one another, because I’m a little ADD and tend to throw everything into the pot. And I’m sure this list will evolve as topics do so, and as I think of other things I would like to address. This is just to give us a road map for our conversation.
- Where did evil come from?
- Who is responsible for the evil men do?
- The evolution of Satan.
- Does the punishment fit the crime?
- Where is hell anyway?
- Free Will and Responsibility.
- Is God a Loving Father?
- Who is God anyway?
- Is YHWH good by the bible’s own definition?
- YHWH vs. Jesus
- Which Jesus/Which Gospel?
- Paul vs. Jesus
- Can I get a witness? The historicity of the Gospel records.
- Wanted, Dead or Alive – The Resurrection.
- Who wrote the Old Testament?
- Who wrote the New Testament?
- Is the Bible truly one cohesive story?
- Denominations – why so much disagreement?
- Who deserves a miracle?
- Are Christian miracles better than everyone else’s?
- How does God decide which prayers to answer?
- Adam and Eve.
- Noah’s Ark.
- The Tower of Babel.
- The Big Bang.
- God’s fingerprints – Is God evident in nature?
- What about other gods/faiths?